Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First English Class

Apparently teachers need something called a "lesson plan?" That was one of my main takeaways from today's english class which ultimately was a shmorgus board of lessons for me. In the beginning it appeared that only five or six students would be in the classroom as Sarah and I prepared to teach, and then slowly but surely student after student made their way into the class until about thirty or more students crowded the long benches. They were basically sitting ascots to ankles but their eager faces told me they were ready to learn. And learn they did, (well they at least now now the word for "window" which is a win in my book.) It was about an hour and a half of teaching as the two of us improvised our way through our basic lesson plan. We scrapped about half of our intended lesson and made it up slightly as we went along. However ultimately the experience was very rich and rewarding. The children are very open to learning and are hungering to know some english, especially from a native speaker. I enjoyed teaching today so much I can see why so many people may choose this for their career (though now I have an even deeper appreciation for all my past teachers, all you miracle workers that deliver knowledge to all those minds.)

1 comment:

  1. David, I really enjoy reading your posts! I am so glad you are enjoying this experience. God Bless You! Love ya!

    Your cousin, Lindsey

    ReplyDelete