Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Alone but constantly surrounded.

Things are going well here! I bought the ticket and am enjoying the ride. The pace of life has changed considerably from the six days a week of language classes to now being basically my own teacher only American friend in town. For the next three months I will be slowly becoming integrated into my community by doing a lot of meet and greets and attending meetings and little get togethers that come my way. The majority of all of this integration is done through Darija, although there have been a few people I've met who know a little English. It has slowly been striking me as the days have gone on in my new town; I am the only American for perhaps an hour or so. I haven't seen or talked in person with another native English now for five days or so and this will be the norm for my two years. In a strange way this has not seemed to bother me. I have welcomed the challenge of learning the new language in order to communicate thoughts and desires with people I meet. Though it is always like a breath of fresh when I get on the phone with another volunteer and can talk in English. On another note, I have just finished my sixth book since being in the Peace Corps and this is turning into a really nice side hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment